Relaxation and detoxifying the body
Some of the physical benefits of massage include:
- reduced muscle tension
- improved circulation
- stimulation of the lymphatic system
- reduction of stress hormones
- increased joint mobility and flexibility
- improved skin tone
- improved recovery of soft tissue injuries
- heightened mental alertness
- reduced anxiety and depression.
Massage therapy may help the body in many different ways. It can relax muscle tissues, which can lead to decreased nerve compression, increased joint space and range of motion. Massage can also help improve circulation which enhances oxygen and nutrients into your muscle cells and help remove waste.
Fun facts about massage
- Massage may be the oldest form of medical care. Egyptian tomb paintings show people being massaged. (That’s about 6000 years ago!)
- A 60-minute massage is equivalent to getting 7-8 hours of sleep to your body.
- Bob Hope, had daily massages as part of his health regimen and lived to 100 years old.
- Touch and massage stimulates the release of endorphins, the body’s natural pain killers.
- Specialized massage improves the flow of lymph through the body, relieving aches, pains and flu-like symptoms.
- There are approximately 5 million touch receptors in our skin, 3000 in a finger tip.
- Healthy touch of any kind reduces the heart rate and can lower blood pressure.
- Office workers massaged regularly are more alert, perform better and are less stressed then those who aren’t massaged.
- Your skin is the largest organ in your body. A massage helps moisturize and soften your skin, and also helps it detox better.
Our local physiotherapist recommends at least one massage a month to relax your muscles and detoxify. Call for details.